středa 12. září 2018

USA(Florida) - St. Augustine

Coat of arms of St. Augustine
St. Augustine (SpanishSan Agustín) is a city in the Southeastern United States, on the Atlantic coast of northeastern Florida. Founded in 1565 by Spanish explorers, it is the oldest continuously inhabited European-established city within the borders of the continental United States.
St. Augustine was founded on September 8, 1565, by Spanish admiral Pedro Menéndez de Avilés, Florida's first governor. He named the settlement "San Agustín", as his ships bearing settlers, troops, and supplies from Spain had first sighted land in Florida eleven days earlier on August 28, the feast day of St. Augustine.[10] The city served as the capital of Spanish Florida for over 200 years. It was designated as the capital of British East Florida when the colony was established in 1763 until it was ceded to Spain in 1783.
The Old Jail (also known as Authentic Old Jail) is a historic jail in St. AugustineFlorida. It is located at 167 San Marco Avenue. On August 27, 1987, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. The St. Johns County Jail now serves as the Old Jail Museum.
The building was designed and constructed by the P.J. Pauley Jail Building and Manufacturing Company of St. Louis, Missouri in 1891. Its construction was financed by Henry Flagler, who struck a deal with the county for $10,000 because the former jail building stood on land that Flagler needed for the construction of his Ponce de León Hotel. The Old Jail served as the St Johns County Jail until 1953. After the jail facilities were moved to a new, more modern building, the vacant Old Jail building was sold to entrepreneur Henry "Slim" McDaniel who began operating the remarkably well preserved building as a roadside tourist attraction. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.
Originally built to house up to 72 prisoners, the two story northern wing of the Jail consists of a general population and maximum security area, a women's section and a lower level kitchen. Maximum Security housed the most dangerous prisoners held at the Jail and includes a Death Row cell, for those condemned to die. A total of 8 men were hung from the Gallows on the Jail compound during its history. Overall conditions at the Jail for those serving varying sentences were quite poor by modern standards and prisoners were typically used as free farm laborers during the day. Baths were infrequent, toilet facilities consisted of one bucket per cell and diet was poor and was typically supplemented by any animals that the prisoners might catch while working on the fields. Segregation by race was steadfastly adhered to at the Jail and disease, violence and death were commonplace. The two story southern wing of the Jail consists of an Office for the Sheriff and living quarters for his family.

Taiwan - New Taipei City

Official logo of New Taipei
New Taipei City is a special municipality and the most populous city in Taiwan. Located in northern Taiwan, the city includes a substantial stretch of the island's northern coastline and surrounds the Taipei Basin, making it the second largest special municipality by area, behind Kaohsiung. New Taipei City is bordered by Keelung to the northeast, Yilan County to the southeast, and Taoyuan to the southwest. It completely surrounds TaipeiBanqiao District is its municipal seat and biggest commercial area. Until 2010, the area that roughly corresponds to the present New Taipei City was known as Taipei County.
The Lin Ben Yuan Family Mansion and Garden in Banqiao DistrictNew Taipei CityTaiwan was a residence built by the Lin Ben Yuan Family. It is Taiwan's most complete surviving example of traditional Chinese garden architecture. The Lin Family Mansion and Garden — along with the Tainan Wu GardenHsinchu Beiguo Garden (新竹北郭園), and Wufeng Lin Family Mansion and Garden — are collectively known as the Four Great Gardens of Taiwan (台灣四大名園). This residence can be traced back to 1847, at the time a "rent house" for the Lin Ben Yuan family in the north. It was later expanded by the brothers Lin Guohua (zh) and Lin Guofang (zh), becoming the residence of the Lin Ben Yuan family. Currently, the Lin Family Mansion and Garden is under the joint responsibility of the Executive Yuan Cultural Construction Committee, Ministry of the InteriorMinistry of Transportation and Communications Tourism Bureau, Taiwan Provincial Government, and the New Taipei City Government for protection and restoration work, who have additionally designated it as a Class-2 Historical Site.
The Lin Family Mansion and Garden has a surface area of approximately 20,000 square metres (4.9 acres). The garden is also referred to as the Banqiao Lin Family Garden (板橋林家花園). The Three-Courtyard Mansion to the west of the garden belongs to the Lin Family Sacrificial Trade Association. It is necessary to have a tour guide lead to enter the mansion's interior.

čtvrtek 16. srpna 2018

Poland - Świnoujście

Coat of arms of Świnoujście
Świnoujście  is a city and seaport on the Baltic Sea and Szczecin Lagoon, located in the extreme north-west of Poland. It is situated mainly on the islands of Usedom and Wolin, but also occupies smaller islands, of which the largest is Karsibór island, once part of Usedom, now separated by the Piast Canal (formerly the Kaiserfahrt) dug in the late 19th century to facilitate ship access to Szczecin (Stettin).

pátek 20. července 2018

USA(Minnesota) - Osakis

Osakis is a city in Douglas and Todd counties in the U.S. state of Minnesota.
The city took its name from nearby Lake Osakis.


Netherlands(Overijssel) - Oldenzaal

Coat of arms of Oldenzaal
Oldenzaal  a municipality and a city in the eastern province of Overijssel in the Netherlands. It is part of the region of Twente and is close to the German border.
It received city rights in 1249. Historically, the city was part of the Hanseatic League as a subsidiary city of the fellow Hanseatic city of Deventer.
Located on the A1 motorway from Amsterdam to Germany, Oldenzaal also has a rail connection to Hengelo.

úterý 3. července 2018

USA(Maine) - Cape Elizabeth

Official seal of Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Cape Elizabeth is a town in Cumberland CountyMaine, United States. The town is part of the Portland–South PortlandBiddeford, Maine metropolitan statistical area. As of the 2010 census, Cape Elizabeth had a population of 9,015.
Cape Elizabeth is a town in Cumberland CountyMaine, United States. The town is part of the Portland–South PortlandBiddeford, Maine metropolitan statistical area. As of the 2010 census, Cape Elizabeth had a population of 9,015
Maine Scenics

úterý 26. června 2018

Turkey - Çankırı

Výsledek obrázku pro cankiri coat of arms
Çankırı is the capital city of Çankırı Province, in Turkey, about 140 km (87 mi) northeast of Ankara. It is situated about 800 m (2500 ft) above sea level.

Taş Mescit (Cemaleddin Ferruh Dârulhadîsi)

It is the most important structure to remain in Çankırı during the Seljuk period.
 
It was built in 1235 by Cemalettin Ferruh, the Governor of Çankırı (Governor) at the time of Anatolian Seljuk I, Alâdeddin Keykubat, which was completely destroyed due to the construction of rubble stone. In addition to Cemalettin Ferruh's heir, he built a Dâr-ûl Hadis in 1242. The first Dâr-ûl Hâdis in Anatolia is named as Stone Masjid by the people. Besides the architectural feature, the other thing that gives importance to the structure is the work of two plastic arts.There is one on the structure, the first piece being used as the "Medical Symbol", which depicts two serpents twisted together from two pieces of figurative stone in the appearance of the other sculpture. In the second piece exhibited at Çankırı Museum, there is the figure of a snake which is used as a "Pharmacy Symbol" today.
 
At the same time there is also a tomb room in the monumental tomb. There is a sarcophagus in the burial chamber located on the northern façade, and five sarcophagi in the two-parted burial chamber entered from the eastern ceiling. It is estimated that during the period of the corpses called martial arts (dried corpses), mummified. The coffin in the middle of this grave room is thought to belong to Cemalettin Ferruh, and the main sarcophagus is located on the main chamber.
 
The work still used as a mosque has served Mevlevihane for many years until the foundation of the Republic.